Monday, September 5, 2022

The "knockout game": **** around and find out

 

Last week I published an article titled 'Self-defense warning: the "knockout game", a.k.a. "polar bear hunting", is back'.  If you missed it, you might want to read it before you go any further with this one.

Over the weekend, Phil at Bustednuckles put up a video clip of what looks like a school or college, where one student (?) sneaks up behind another and sucker-punches him.  Unfortunately for the sneaker, the sneak-ee was not only still conscious, but had a gun.  His reaction was lethally effective.  Click over to Phil's place and watch the video for yourself.

I don't approve of uncontrolled violence in society at all:  but I'm also firmly convinced that the only way to stop it becoming uncontrolled is to control it at its source - namely, stopping violent people before they get out of hand.  In this case, I'm forced to acknowledge that's precisely what happened.  As Phil says:  "Darwin and I both approve."

As the late, great Jeff Cooper once put it:


One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.


Quite so!  I hope that many more players of the "knockout game" or "polar bear hunting" find that out for themselves, as quickly as possible.  Their loss will be a net benefit for the rest of us in polite society.

Peter


14 comments:

heresolong said...

A few comments on the video:

1) gun individual will go to jail for a very long time. He was no longer under threat. Walking away and came back to kill his attacker. It will not be regarded as self defense. That's part of the problem with this sucker punch game. You can't defend yourself against a surprise attack and then when the attacker no longer attacks you are left with no legal resources. I suspect that the young men doing this know that.

2) That being said, I won't grieve for the idiot who punched him.

3) How many people walked by while that guy lay on the ground bleeding out

4) Are we sure this wasn't theater?

Maniac said...

Serves him right.

Chris Nelson said...

I don't see a homicide. At most it's a charge of littering. Hopefully the police don't waste much time looking for the judicator.

Heywood5150 said...

Shooter needs me on the jury

Old NFO said...

One down, how many to go???

boron said...

@ heresolong
Your supposition: "He was no longer under threat." is incorrect, although many of our more liberal prosecutors use this as a matter of law; it's still incorrect.
The person who was punched is under the same threat by the puncher (and/or his buddies) from there on every single day of his life: the puncher is a bully and will take full advantage of the fear thus engendered in the person punched.
There are very few effective ways to stop the original aggressor and IMHO, this is likely the best one; neither he (nor his buddies) will ever do anything like this again.

Xoph said...

I was watching a video of somewhere in South America. It is to the point where perps on motorcycles will rob or car jack. Several crimes in progress were interrupted by car drivers passing by who had had enough and ran over the perps. Quite brutal but effective.

If our legal system will not address the problem vigilante justice is the only other option. Vigilantes have a bad name, but it is a symptom of a failure of the justice system. Expect to see more examples at home.

Bob said...

Mixed feelings.... A totally wasted life, and yet - good riddance. If I was on his jury, I'd do my best to see him walk free: No jailtime, no fines, no record.

Doonhamer said...

In what sick society is the first reaction of someone with a smart phone is to use it to take photographs or video of seriously injured youth rather than use it to summon medical aid?

Robert said...

I approve of this message.

This was instant justice served up in an unambiguous fashion.

Don't do the "knockout game". Or you die.

When laws will offer no protection from predators, then people will take matters into their own hands. And they should.

I would vote for acquittal if I were on the jury.

And I would seek the removal of any prosecutor who might charge the victim.

Divemedic said...

I said last year when the BLM morons got the "defund the police" nonsense going- the police aren't there to defend society. They are there to ensure that the accused gets a fair trial. In the absence of police and courts, the citizens take care of it themselves. It was a frequent thing in the old days that a posse would take off out of town on horseback while carrying rope in search of a fleeing criminal. They would return a couple of days later without the criminal or the rope.

BobF said...

I've aged out of jury duty, but I'd volunteer to go back for that one. Gunner did society a favor.

heresolong said...

Legally, Boron, I'm not sure you're correct, although I'm not a lawyer. Use of lethal force in self defense requires that there be an immediate threat. He punched me before and could potentially punch me again doesn't, afaik, qualify.

Landroll said...

heresolong: As my father, a lawyer, would say quoting someone else, "The law is an ass." He punched (blindsided me unprovoked) before and will again works for me for a self defense argument.