Wednesday, April 24, 2024

A camera that writes poems???

 

This report boggles my mind.


At first glance, the Poetry Camera seems like another gadget in the ever-evolving landscape of digital devices. However, upon closer inspection, it becomes evident that this is no ordinary camera. Instead of merely capturing images, the Poetry Camera takes the concept of photography to new heights by generating thought-provoking poetry (or, well, as thought-provoking as AI poetry can get) based on the visuals it encounters.

. . .

At the heart of this innovative device lies a Raspberry Pi, a credit card-sized single-board computer that packs a powerful punch. This tiny yet mighty component serves as the brain of the Poetry Camera, enabling it to capture images and communicate with OpenAI’s GPT-4 to generate poetry.

A Raspberry Pi captures the image and then employs computer vision algorithms to analyze the visual data. The AI models then interpret the image, identifying key elements, colors, patterns and emotions within the frame. This information serves as the foundation for the poetry-generation process.


There's more at the link.

Well . . . I suppose, if the AI has been sufficiently trained on enough poetry covering all sorts of topics, issues and environments, it might produce something roughly in sync with the theme of the picture.  On the other hand, it's not going to work very well on fast-paced action shots, particularly if it doesn't know what's going on.

I have a mental picture of using this device to take a photograph of my Drill Instructor during military basic training lo, these many years ago;  screaming insults at me from a range of about six inches, spittle flying everywhere (including all over me), eyes wide and staring . . . although I don't think it could also capture his halitosis and body odor.  I wonder what sort of poem it would produce about him in that scenario?



Peter


4 comments:

JNorth said...

Considering the quality of most poetry I've seen, sure, I can see this creating stuff on par.

Skyler the Weird said...

My drill instructor
Splattered me with Saliva
Jody took my girl.

Skyler the Weird said...

Your Uncle Sam calls
Rednecks don't give an answer
Let the Trannies fight.

wheels said...

I don't come here daily, or I'd have commented on this sooner. You may be interested to learn of another AI "camera." This one (and the explanatory video, particularly) is a bit NSFW.

https://nuca.rocks