Friday, February 22, 2008

A Hot Wheels plaything - yours for only $140,000!


Somehow this leaves me baffled.

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of their Hot Wheels line of toy cars, Mattel has produced a diamond-studded white gold Hot Wheels toy car. It has more than 2,700 diamonds set into it, with rubies for tail lights, and is valued at $140,000.




After touring the USA as part of the anniversary promotions, Mattel says that the car will be auctioned off late this year to benefit the Big Brothers, Big Sisters charity.

I'm afraid that for the life of me, I can't see the point in making a six-figure-value Hot Wheels car for any reason whatsoever. For that price I could pay a custom car builder to make a full-size, fully operational Hot Wheels replica complete with engine, gearbox and flamethrower! Wouldn't that do more to publicize your toys, Mattel? "For our 40th anniversary, we present really Hot Wheels - torching every competitor in sight!"

Ah, well. Perhaps that sort of idea is why I've never been invited to join Mattel's strategic planning committee . . .

Peter

No comments: