I've been alternately giggling and feeling nauseated at some ancient cures for a hangover. Examples:
- Raw Pickled Herring Wrapped Around Pieces of Gherkin and Onion (Germany)
- Picked Sheep Eyes in Tomato Juice (Mongolia)
- A Glass of Warm Milk with a Teaspoon of Soot (the 1800s)
- Raw Owl’s Eggs and Deep-Fried Canary (Ancient Rome)
- Sheep Lungs, Owl Eggs and Boiled Cabbage (Ancient Greece)
There are more at the link, including all the gory (?) details.
Inevitably, Japan has its own unique selection of cures. Don't they always?