Thursday, February 3, 2011

Around the blogs #1


Here's another in my regular peeps at what fellow bloggers are talking about. Like last week, there are so many good entries that I'm going to make two posts out of them. The second will follow tomorrow.


JayG has a post which reminds me of one by Crucis to which I linked last week, telling of the heroism of a Gurkha soldier in defeating a gang of 40-odd robbers. Jay provides this image:




He also offers an alternative caption for it, which made me chuckle even harder! I might have to steal one or both of them for a book I'm writing.


Newbius has a remarkable essay on the state of our media and what it implies for the American body politic. Here's an excerpt.

What do you say? What do you say to your kids when they ask why everybody on TV is shouting at each other? What do you say when the reportage and the reality have an obvious disconnect? What do you say when the policies being proposed have a history of failure and worse, yet they are reported with no hint of irony as the solution to our ills? What do you say when you see agencies of your government exempt themselves from the laws that they impose on the People? What do you say?

What would Patrick Henry say?

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them."

. . .

Open your eyes and look for the truth. For objective truth is, and no amount of dissembling will make it less so. The Truth shall set you free.


More at the link. Very highly recommended reading.


Being a firearms enthusiast, I was dumbstruck to see that someone's taken a bunch of barrels off shotguns, cut them down, welded them into a revolver-type cylinder, and produced a 12-gauge revolving shotgun! Every Day, No Days Off gives us the scoop, and provides a number of pictures, including this one:




Quite a monstrosity, isn't it? Go read more about it.


Finally (for tonight, anyway), Roberta X informs us that a genuine UFO detector is being sold on Amazon. That's funny enough, but the reviews of the product by 'purchasers' are an absolute scream! Here are a few examples.

I purchased this item and am blown away by its effectiveness. I started this device up and immediately detected not one, not two, but five separate UFOs in my immediate area. I am currently working on a way to communicate with what I assume is an intelligent species visiting our planet, but so far, I have been unsuccessful. I am waiting to see if this company will be selling a UFO communications device in the near future. If it is anything like this detector, I will be extremely happy.

. . .

After my first abduction I sought out to arm myself with something that would prevent this from happening to me again. Alas, the UFO Detector.

Since then my microwave, TV, radio, and cellphone have been causing the device to alarm several times, sending me in a state of panic where I'd hide under my bed for days. Next time it went off it was no false alarm. And I was, again, on board an alien vessle with probes hanging from every opening of my body.

I'd guess that for this "Detector" to work you'd need to be in an environment free from all electrical interferences. Above all, I DO NOT recommend this product.

. . .

OK, how do I explain? I've been picked up off and on during the years. Each time I'm picked up, I get probed. And not just by a little gray. And not just once or twice. The whole darn ship of 'em line up to probe me. Repeatedly.

So, I bought this device, thinking that if it went off, I'd have time to escape to my lead-lined safe room, or at least grab a weapon. So what happened? Not what I expected. It didn't give me any warning at all. The range is extremely limited. Only later did I see the disclaimer: "For best results, hold directly under saucer."

Anyway, I woke up in the ship as I was being probed. And this stupid product was beeping. It kept beeping the whole time that I was being probed by every single crewman. Do you have any idea how annoying it can be to hear tinny beeping as you are being probed by a ship full of grays?

Worst of all, the company would not give me a refund.


One of the commenters actually derided that particular UFO detector, and linked to an improved model - also available on Amazon, of course! The reviews for that one are equally funny, and also recommended reading.

Thanks, Roberta, for my laugh of the day!

Peter

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

It seems P.T. Barnum was an optimist. ;^)