Friday, July 8, 2016

The world of "Swallows and Amazons" brought to life


I'm sure at least some of my readers were raised, as I was, to enjoy the "Swallows and Amazons" series of books by Arthur Ransome.  They're timeless classics, still popular today with many families.

The BBC has just produced this 40-minute documentary examining the Lake District, the Norfolk Broads and the Suffolk coastline in which most of the books are set.  For those who've never been there, it's a wonderful introduction and background to the world of Arthur Ransome's protagonists.  Even if you've never heard of or read the books, it's captivating.

Watch the documentary in full-screen mode for best results.





Lovely!

Peter

4 comments:

Liam said...

Thanks. That was very nice - I grew up reading Ransome's Swallows and Amazons books.

zdogk9 said...

Peter, Thank you, I've followed the water for most of my days.
Bob

Conant said...

Thanks, Peter, I loved the Ransome books as a kid. Did you know that he was a spy, possibly a double agent, and that his second wife was Trotsky's secretary?

Francis Turner said...

Minor correction Hamford Water (the location of Secret Water) is in Essex not Suffolk.