Sunday, August 12, 2018

Sunday morning music


Let's try something different this morning.  Moroccan music is a unique blend of Andalusian (i.e. southern Spanish), Berber, Arab and African influences.  It's developed a strong following in Europe and North Africa, although it's less well known in the USA.  Unusually for me, because I tend to listen to music rather than play it as background noise, I find it excellent as music to write by.  I don't listen to the words (or even understand them):  it's just a comforting, relaxing underlay to the words I'm writing.

Here are two compilations of Moroccan music for you to try.  If you enjoy them in the foreground, great;  otherwise, try playing them softly in the background while you do other things.  I think you'll like them.








There's lots more Moroccan music on YouTube.  It's far too big a subject to cover in one short post like this.  It's worth exploring for yourself, particularly the sub-genres within it.  More information at Wikipedia.

Peter

4 comments:

libertyman said...

I can envision belly dancers!

I will try it as background music, but I still can't shake that image, so to speak.

John Cunningham said...

I had an album by the Master Musicians of Jajouka back in the 70s. I just about wore out the grooved. I'll have to add some Moroccan music to my playlists. A blast from the past.

sdharms said...

"comforting, relaxing underlay" NOT. anxiety producing, chaotic.

camperbot said...

Thank you for this Peter - really cool stuff.