Monday, August 30, 2021

I can almost hear Bob saying this!

 

Readers will recall that in January, Miss D. and I went up to Colorado for the funeral of a good friend, Bob, who'd been our host at our Blogorado gatherings for more than a decade.  He was a no-nonsense, down-to-earth, plain-spoken man, who said what he meant and meant what he said.

I couldn't help thinking of Bob when I read this piece of folk wisdom at Ace of Spades on Saturday.  I can almost hear his voice in my mind.  It's exactly the kind of thing he'd have said to the bureaucrats, too!


The Sierra Club and the U.S. Forest Service were presenting an alternative to the Wyoming ranchers for controlling the coyote population. It seems that after years of the ranchers using the tried-and-true method of shooting or trapping the predators, the Sierra Club had a "more humane" solution to this issue. What they were proposing was for the animals to be captured alive. The males would then be castrated and let loose again.

This was ACTUALLY proposed by the Sierra Club and by the U.S. Forest Service .

All of the ranchers thought about this amazing idea for a couple of minutes.

Finally an old fellow wearing a big cowboy hat in the back of the conference room stood up, tipped his hat back and said:

"Son, I don't think you understand our problem here... these coyotes ain't ****in' our sheep... they're eatin' them!"

The meeting never really got back to order.


I reckon, somewhere up there, Bob's laughing his ass off at that one . . .



Peter


5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sadly that is apparently a TRUE story... Wow...just wow...

Beans said...

Maybe castrate the people who thought this one up. Castrate with a sledgehammer.

Peteforester said...

I wish the coyotes would eat the sheep that keep coming up with these brain-dead ideas... Of course, the coyotes could do that other thing to 'em too... 'Wouldn't bug me a bit...

dogsledder said...

This illustrates the fact that there are still some Americans with brains left. They never meet that kind of people in Washington D.C. though.

Sara said...

I live in Wyoming (and work for the feds, although NOT the USFS) and...yep, this is the sort of insanity that the Forest Service would propose.

They're known in my part of the state for being "the crazy dysfunctional ones." And given some of the shenanigans I've seen and/or heard about from my own (BLM) field office...that's really saying something!!!