Sunday, August 8, 2021

Sunday morning music

 

Today we'll visit an Irish folk group, The Wailin' Banshees.  They're relatively new, releasing their debut song and video, "Step It Up Mary" in 2017.  I know very little about them apart from that:  they list a Web site, but it won't open for me due to a DNS error, and I'm not on Facebook so I can't look them up there.  (I understand there's a page on Facebook with their name, but the photograph from it on a Google search showed many more people than are in the Irish group, so I'm not sure it's the same outfit.)

Interestingly, the group appears to design and record their own music videos, rather than leave that to professionals.  I've liked those I've seen.

I've run into their music a couple of times now, and enjoyed it:  so here are a few selections for your listening pleasure. Let's start with their debut piece, "Step It Up Mary".




Here's their cover of Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road".  It's the first cover of it I've heard that's as good as the original, IMHO.




Here's a live performance of their version of The Waterboys' "Fisherman's Blues".




Here's their rendition of the classic Irish song "The Curragh of Kildare".  I've found that sometimes the video won't play when embedded:  if that happens here, click this link to listen to it on YouTube.




Here's a Yuletide song from the group, "A Tale for Christmas", which its YouTube blurb says is "paying tribute to both 'Fairytale of New York' and the annual shenanigans of Christmas Day".  Again, if it won't play while embedded, listen to it here.




Finally, here's another original composition, "Parting Glass".




Pleasant listening indeed.  I hope we hear much more from this group.

Peter


5 comments:

BadFrog said...

I like the Copperhead Road cover, especially with the Irish tradition of 'mountain dew'. It's amusing to see them making a getaway in a truck with English plates as well. Something to throw the Gardai off the scent?

JaimeInTexas said...

Love tenor banjos.

Ron said...

Very talented group. Unfortunately, it looks like their FB page (if it's the same group) hasn't been updated in over a year.

Francis Turner said...

The website appears to have died in July 2020. That corresponds more or less with the lack of update of the FB page.

I suspect that may not be a coincidence

Cynyr said...

That's good stuff right there.