Saturday, November 19, 2022

Homeward bound: Albuquerque, New Mexico

 

Our day began in Flagstaff, Arizona, with a lengthy breakfast and post-prandrial conversation with Larry Lambert, who blogs at Virtual Mirage.  It was great!  He and I share opinions (sometimes strong ones) on many issues, and we found plenty of points of agreement.  He's already posted about it on his blog, complete with a couple of pictures, so I'll send you over there to read his account of proceedings.  Thanks, Larry!

Shortly after leaving Flagstaff, Miss D. and I detoured to the meteor crater near Winslow, Arizona.  There's an impressive visitor center and educational setup there, far larger than I'd have thought a crater warranted;  but apparently there's been a lot of scientific investigation conducted there, which is still ongoing.  The crater itself is pretty impressive, as are the "ripples" the impact threw up around it, stretching for miles.  It must have been (briefly, before they died!) a very impressive sight for the animals and other critters in the area when the meteor struck.  We couldn't help laughing at one of the quasi-informational signs erected on the road to the crater:  "Vehicle speed limit, 50 mph.  Meteor speed limit, 26,000 mph."  No s***, Sherlock!

The rest of the day's run was relatively peaceful, save only for a 50-mile detour through New Mexico's Navajo reservation to avoid what Google Maps warned us was a major slowdown on I-40 caused by an accident.  It was interesting to see the hills and mesas close up.  The poverty of the Native American population was also very evident, and evidenced by really serious anti-theft precautions (fences, iron bars, high gates, etc.) around any property containing anything of value.  As I learned the hard way in the Third World, if you have nothing (or very little), scruples tend to become negotiable . . .

We arrived safely in Albuquerque shortly after sunset.  Tomorrow, Sunday, we'll hit the road for the last stretch to northern Texas.  It'll be good to be home.

Peter


7 comments:

libertyman said...

I think this is where you turn left at Albuquerque.

STxAR said...

I used to support a mobile radio network in New Mexico and most of Texas. Gallup had a repeater or relay north of town. The road to it was dirt and it ran on private property. I felt the weight of observing eyes every time I went there. My hackles got a workout. Once, I ran into some fellows in the back country that complimented my boots!!! I had a very sensitive back to my neck already, but that put it into overdrive!!

North western New Mexico is particularly oppressive to my spirit. Untold horrors have occurred there. I wonder if the blood spilled cries out or the old 'gods' haint the land. When I read the Old Testament about Canaan, I wonder if it felt like that there before Israel cleaned it out. It is dark out there to me, even when the sun is shining, like the light has a shadowy cast to it.

Safe travels and an easy road. God bless and protect you both on your way home.

glasslass said...

If we were to ever pay out reparation first on the list would be Native Americans. Good article in the Smithsonian Magazine this month on Crazy Horse.

Old NFO said...

Yep, the 'Res' has its own special 'issues'. Travel safe!

Bob said...

I lived in Santa Fe for a bit over four decades. Even commuted to LASL (now LANL) for a period of years. Even spent a year at White Sands Missile Range operating and maintaining a range safety radar system. Moved to Colorado, then California, then Washinton State and finally Texas - following the jobs available in my specialty, high power RF systems. I have remained interested in New Mexico news since I still have many old friends living there. Albuquerque was always a bit too hot for me in the summer, but everything North was always pleasant to visit.

Some of my New Mexico friends are now telling me that Albuquerque is fast becoming a lawless hellhole and I believe them, judging from the news coming out of there.

Glad you're almost home and survived New Mexico - especially Albuquerque.

FeralFerret said...

Did the Meteor Crated experience about 27 years ago. Considering the size of that meteor (approx. 150 ft across) and the effects it had, just think what something several times as large would have. It wasn't all that big compared to several other known meteor events. It would be a shame if one were to happen to fall in someplace like Washington, DC (well maybe not that big a shame).

MS Jordan said...

Northern Pines, a very nice breakfast place
You scored