Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Obama administration has been caught lying in its teeth . . .

. . . but you wouldn't know much about it, to judge from the (lack of) coverage in the mainstream media.

It's been clear from the very beginning (as we've pointed out before) that the attack on US diplomats and their building in Benghazi, Libya, and the co-ordinated demonstrations and assaults on similar installations in other Islamic countries, were not isolated incidents, nor where they 'spontaneous demonstrations' against an anti-Islamic film (as initially alleged by the Administration, even as late as Tuesday this week).  Instead, they were carefully planned and well-executed attacks by trained terrorists.  Despite this reality, blindingly obvious to anyone with half a brain, the Obama Administration insisted for days, even weeks, that they were nothing of the sort.

Now the Wall Street Journal sets the record straight.

Journalists have stayed on the case ... and their reporting is filling in the Administration's holes. On Friday, our WSJ colleagues showed that starting in spring, U.S. intelligence had been worried about radical militias in eastern Libya. These armed groups helped topple Moammar Ghadhafi last year but weren't demobilized as a new government has slowly found its legs. As we've noted since last winter, the waning of American and European interest in Libya could have dangerous consequences.

Deteriorating security was no secret. On April 10, for example, an explosive device was thrown at a convoy carrying U.N. envoy Ian Martin. On June 6, an improvised explosive device exploded outside the U.S. consulate. In late August, State warned American citizens who were planning to travel to Libya about the threat of assassinations and car bombings.

Despite all this, U.S. diplomatic missions had minimal security.

. . .

Imagine the uproar if, barely a month before Election Day, the Bush Administration had responded to a terrorist strike—on Sept. 11 no less—in this fashion. Obfuscating about what happened. Refusing to acknowledge that clear security warnings were apparently ignored. Then trying to shoot the messengers who bring these inconvenient truths to light in order to talk about anything but a stunning and deadly attack on U.S. sovereign territory.

Four Americans lost their lives in Benghazi in a terrorist attack that evidence suggests should have been anticipated and might have been stopped. Rather than accept responsibility, the Administration has tried to stonewall and blame others. Congress should call hearings to hold someone accountable for this debacle.

There's more at the link.  It's worth reading the article in full.

Personally, I think all those who tried to hoodwink, hornswoggle and mislead the American public about these attacks should face criminal charges.  Even if that's not possible, their careers in government service should come to a sudden, grinding and terminal halt.  As for the Administration's barefaced lies about this disaster . . . all I can say is, remember in November!



Glenn B said...

What else could you expect from Obama or is it Barry Sotero, a self professed Muslim and someone I will profess is a useless piece of arse droppings.

Anonymous said...

Best coverage of Libyan insurrection was by Sky News of UK. Their reporters were in country from the beginning. They had been reporting regularly about the "extra help" forces in Benghazi in 2011. Also, regularly speculating about the true intent of those "militias" and just where their funding and advisors were sourced. Seems pretty clear now.

Will said...


just found a really good blog by a former US diplomat, recently retired. You're going to like this guy!

He has a lot of posts this month on this subject.