Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Safely in Indy


Miss D. and I made it to Indianapolis early this evening, tired but safe.  The drive up from Nashville was easier than previous trips, with notably less traffic.  This might have been due to being the middle of a work week, not peak holiday season.  However, I couldn't help but notice that there were many fewer trucks on the road than we're used to seeing.  Since they move most consumer goods in America from importers and manufacturers to distribution centers to retailers, I suspect business and commerce are still very subdued compared to a few years ago.

We had a little excursion in Louisville, KY, where road construction made getting through the city a bit of a traffic nightmare.  Instead of our normal route up I-65, we found ourselves diverted onto I-64.  The exits and merges weren't very well signposted, so we found ourselves wandering the streets of Clarksville, IN for half an hour, trying to find a way back onto I-65 North.  It wasn't much fun, and both of us had some sulfurous things to say about the signs (or lack thereof) on local roads.  Still, thanks to the help of smartphone navigation, we made it in the end.

Tomorrow will be a day of shopping for mead, visiting with Mad Mike and friends, and relaxing.  The next morning it'll be off to Ohio to visit Miss D.'s family, as well as spend some time with Cedar and her First Reader.

Peter

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

Enjoy the trip, and have fun!

Cedar said...

Glad to hear you're safely there, even if you did have trouble... See you soon!

Sherm said...

A guy across the hall from me in my freshman dorm made his own mead one week. Where you're going looks to be a higher class operation.

Anonymous said...

"I couldn't help but notice that there were many fewer trucks on the road than we're used to seeing"

I just got back from a trip from Texas to Virginia for a nephew's wedding. On a Thursday I went from TX to just outside Knoxville. The number of trucks on I-40 was astonishing, esp between Little Rock and Memphis. After the wedding I decided to drive up through New York into Canada, then around Lake Huron to the upper peninsula of Michigan and then south back to TX. The north-south traffic was far less than the east-west traffic I encountered.

Roy said...

I wish I had known you were coming up this way.
Despite all of the dire warnings, the traffic through the construction zone at the Ohio river isn't all that bad except maybe during the morning or evening rush hour. If you had just stayed on I-65 north and toughed it out, you would have gotten through town and across the river with no real problems.
However, I agree with you that the signage leaves a lot to be desired.

squisher said...

Clarksville isn't all bad, they have the Derby Dinner Playhouse, a longtime family favorite for a nice night out. It's essentially theater in the round. Comedies are raucous,and musicals are generally well put together.