Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Home again


Miss D. and I arrived home safely this afternoon after a week on the road.  We were welcomed by a madly happy cat (for some reason she drools when we come home after an absence like this - it's a bit disconcerting to have a purring, buzzing armful of fur leaking all over one's wrists and hands!).  I got caught up on a week's worth of e-mails, and we've settled down again.  Normal routine will be resumed tomorrow.

I'm getting more and more feedback concerning the Tor imbroglio.  Things are not looking good.  I'm going to address some of the major issues in a long post later tonight, to try to put them out there for public discussion and comment.  I'm doing so, not to belabor a point, but to try to show how far apart both sides are on this issue, and above all show how neither side is truly 'hearing' the other.  It's like two people 'talking past' each other.  Their lips are moving, and sounds are coming out of their mouths, but the other can't understand what they're saying - particularly because both are talking at once, refusing to listen.  It's a very awkward situation, and it's likely to have very awkward consequences for at least one major player in the SF/F marketplace.

Thanks to everyone who's visited here during recent days.  Please feel free to keep visiting.  It's good to have your company, even if only in electronic form.

Peter

1 comment:

Ragin' Dave said...

I think you've got your metaphor a little off there.

I hear what they're saying. I've heard what they've said for the past three years in this case, and the past thirty years since I could actually remember politics.

I'm just not talking back. It's not worth it at this point. What will it gain me?

So I'm attacking, when and where I can. I have no interest in talking to the other side. That avenue has proven fruitless, frustrating, and a waste of energy. My goal now is to cause as much pain on their side as possible. I no longer believe that you can actually talk to such people as Irene Gallo, as they don't give a fig what I have to say in any case. So, attack.

You may say that I'm choosing my actions unwisely, but in the end, I want my kids to grow up in a world where people like Irene Gallo don't get to attack them in public without consequence.