Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Doofus Of The Day #145


Our three Doofi this evening are crooks from Columbus, Ohio.


The promise of women and drugs helped nab the world's dumbest crooks after they carjacked an Ohio man's car - and his cell phone.

Alan Heuss was sitting in his BMW outside a Columbus, Ohio, restaurant, finishing up a cell phone conversation when a young man yanked open the passenger door, shoved a gun in his face and ordered him to get out, he told the Daily News Sunday.

The thief and two other men fled with his car, cash and cell phone late Thursday. Heuss called the cops from the nearby restaurant and stayed inside with friends to drown his sorrows.

That's when one of Heuss' buddies hatched a scheme to lure the bad guys into the open.

"My friend at the restaurant said, 'So, Alan, why don't I text them and pretend I'm a girl?' I said 'Yeah! And [say] you have cocaine too!'" Heuss said.

As luck would have it, one of Heuss' female friends was also calling his mobile number and her picture was appearing on the stolen cell phone screen.

Heuss went home, but his friends knew the crooks had taken the bait when they got a text.

They contacted Columbus police, got advice on how to reply, and the bad guys ended up disclosing their address. The three men - caught in the stolen vehicle - are suspects in a series of car thefts, cops told Columbus news station TV10. Heuss got his car back Friday.


It's amazing what a little creativity on one side - and greed and lust on the other - can accomplish together!

Peter

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Proof positive you shouldn't look for random texts offering sex and cocaine to be real truthful. Sort of like all the Nigerian scam email.

Anonymous said...

Like the saying goes That is why they call it dope.

Crucis said...

Many mobile phones now have GPS trackers built-in. They default to ON unless you specifically turn them off. I used this feature once when I lost my phone at a local park. I called the phone provider, gave a password to authenticate me and they gave me the location of my phone with a few yards. I found it in some weeds next to where I'd parked the previous day.

OTOH, you can be tracked without your knowledge if a warrant is served to your phone provider. There's Pros and Cons to this feature. Some wives have tracked their hubbies as well as keeping track of their kids.

Old NFO said...

Love it! Stupid is as stupid does... At least it took them off the street!