Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Medical science at work???


Australian reader Snoggeramus sends us a link to this hilarious piece of medical research.

“It all started with an enquiry from a nurse,” Dr Karl Kruszelnicki told listeners to his science phone-in show on the Triple J radio station in Brisbane. “She wanted to know whether she was contaminating the operating theatre she worked in by quietly farting in the sterile environment during operations, and I realised that I didn't know. But I was determined to find out.”

There's more at the link.  Their final conclusion won't surprise you, except for one thing . . . who the hell gets naked in an operating theater, except perhaps the patient?





Peter

4 comments:

JaneofVirginia said...

They could have read the American study which was completed and published more than 30 years ago, and saved themselves the trouble.

Jennifer said...

And there you have it.

Robert said...

Well, the patient isn't exactly naked what with being draped and such. I've never farted (that I admit to) but I did sneeze so messily once that I had to get a new mask. Thank dog the surgeon wasn't a jerk about it.

Toejam said...

I think that study is full of hot air, myself.

JaneofVirginia,

I'm interested in how you know so about intestinal gasses?