Sunday, August 4, 2024

Sunday morning music

 

Let's nip back in time to the 1960's, the heyday of the growing British folk rock scene, and the genesis of one of the more intriguing groups of that time, Pentangle.  It fused folk and jazz music into something unique, which has never been duplicated since then.

Pentangle produced many memorable melodies.  I've picked four love songs this morning, love fulfilled and love thwarted by fate.  Let's start with "Let No Man Steal Your Thyme".  This is a live performance at the Royal Festival Hall in 1968.




A song for a love lost:  "The Trees They Do Grow High".




One of my favorites among their love songs, performed live on ITV in 1972:  "No Love Is Sorrow".




And finally a love song to or about the dead, and how they enter Heaven.  As with many old tunes (this one is well over a thousand years old in its origins), it mixes Christian and pagan beliefs.  It's the "Lyke Wake Dirge".




If any of the lyrics are unclear, you can look them up online.

Peter


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like u would like music by Loreena McKennitt

LL said...

When I realize that I was alive then -- damn, I'm old.

Peter said...

@LL: Me too, brother. Me too. I can remember listening to all those songs back then...

boron said...

Thank you very much.
I never came across them even though I was already in my late twenties