Wednesday, August 14, 2024

A four-day digital detox

 

During our four-day road trip around West Texas last week, I tried something I haven't done in years.  I deliberately didn't even switch on a computer, unless you count my smartphone (which I used for calls, text messages and occasionally to read e-books, nothing more - no e-mails, no Web browsing, etc.).  I didn't blog, didn't read the news, didn't use any of the usual apps and online information resources that I usually have open on my screen.  It was an almost complete digital detox.

The results surprised me.  I'd expected to feel cut off, anxious that I didn't know what was going on in the world, wanting to know who was doing what with which to whom . . . but none of that happened.  Instead, I just relaxed.  I slept better (despite some not-very-good hotel beds), enjoyed sightseeing and conversation more, and unwound more than I'd expected.

I'm going to try to make a habit of this every six months or so:  take a few days, even up to a week, to minimize my electronic life in favor of my meatspace one.  I think it might do me good.

How about you, dear readers?  Have you tried an electronic detox "diet" like this?  If so, how did it work for you?  Please let us know in Comments.

Peter


12 comments:

Carteach said...

I recently took Facebook off my devices. Maybe a week.. a month... maybe forever. I find myself more relaxed and enjoying my days more.

I'm still on X, but there is a big difference. I'll be lied to on both Facebook and X, but at least on X people are allowed to speak the truth as well.

State sponsored media? Like the nice Chinese lady said... "We know it's all lies. Why bother with it?".

Irving said...

I try to walk away from the 1s and 0s each weekend, and never watch TV any day. And, I'm a bit of a Luddite - I don't use my phone for anything but phone calls, an occasional text and, rarely, a price check when shopping. I get enough news from conservative talk radio commuting in the car to keep me informed about what's going on.

You can immerse yourself in all that media #&%@ to your heart's content but it won't do anything good for your heart or your mood, no mater which side of the spectrum it comes from.

Old NFO said...

Yep, that works!

LindaG said...

Not quite like you. For me it's no TV after 1800 and none on Sunday.
Sometimes I succeed in no Internet after 2000, but sometimes not.
I find i sleep better, too.

A Reader said...

Sometimes I have a digital fast day in lieu of fasting from food. It helps.

Bob C. said...

I tend to agree. Even though I'm not on any social media, and never have been, just shutting off the input can do wonders.

Sherm said...

One of the nice things about living in a place like Montana, is that you can easily go somewhere with no cell service. It's nice to be able to tell the others not to bother calling since it'll be several days before I have service again.

Zaphod said...

I had 3 full days offline in September 1999 which I remember clearly. May have missed a day or two ca 2004 in a get away from it all resort stuck to the river valley wall back of Ubud, Bali pre ubiquitous 5G.

What I won't do is get online during flights. Insert post-modern wankery about liminal spaces here, but it just feels wrong to be googling on a plane.

John V said...

We don't have phones. Free Google voice is good enough. No Facebook, no Twitter, no problem.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that if I take time away from the propaganda machine, the things I care about change. I am less wound up with the reports of this or that political outrage, and more concerned about real things. Family time, gardening, prepping for hunting season. Clean out the garage, finish up that set of shelves for the Mrs. Double checking the camping gear. Etc. To some degree I get time back, but to a greater degree I get my priorities back.

Tree Mike said...

I will try to detox inner webs. Gonna hafta face I'm addicted to webs.

Anonymous said...

All fine and dandy, . . . but don't take away my dailytimewasterdotcom :) !!!