Monday, April 26, 2010

The impact of obesity on health


Since my heart attack last October, I've been paying a lot more attention to my health, and trying to lose weight. (Having been semi-crippled by a work-related accident in 2004, it's been a losing battle trying to keep the weight off . . . without being able to exercise properly, I've had to rely primarily on diet to do so, and bachelor cooking's not exactly conducive to that!) I've had some success, with a lot of help from Miss D., and am now more than 50 pounds lighter than when I started: but there's still some way to go.

I've been given an additional incentive to lose weight by a rather scary article in the Daily Mail. It illustrates through MRI's what happens when one builds up fat.




The article provides a great deal of information about how excess fat affects various body parts and functions. Highly recommended reading if, like me, you need to lose weight, or are health-conscious.

Peter

1 comment:

Mikael said...

I'd recommend swimming... it's good excercise, and pretty much anyone can do it. Your weight doesn't matter much in the water, and if you get tired, the fat helps you float(muscle and bone is denser than water, fat is less dense than water), so just roll over on your back and take a breather.