Friday, February 3, 2023

At home with Kent Rollins, master cowboy cook

 

Kent Rollins is a name that'll be instantly familiar to many BBQ cooks and cowboy cooking fans.  He's become one of the leading lights of that way of life, actively cooking up a storm for ranches during the season, and running his own coffee shop (with his wife) in Wellington, Texas in between times.  My wife and I have visited there, and look forward to going again.

Recently a two-part video interview with him hit YouTube.  I thought you might enjoy hearing more about the man, his life, and his cooking adventures.  He's quite the character.






Some years ago he recreated a traditional chuckwagon trail drive on a huge New Mexico ranch.  Here's the two-video report on that adventure.  It looks like very hard work, but a lot of fun.






Mr. Rollins has his own Web site, and also his own YouTube channel.  If you haven't tried his recipes or cookbooks yet, or his sauces and seasonings, you're in for a treat!  They're favorites of many of us in the North Texas Troublemakers.  We might just have to make a group pilgrimage up to Wellington soon, to sample more of his cowboy fixin's.

(No, I'm not being compensated in any way for "boosting" him like this.  I just like the man, his wife, and his food!)

Peter


2 comments:

BobF said...

I subscribe to his channel and really enjoy watching his videos, even the ones from which I have no hope of cooking the recipe. I do, however, actually cook many of them, adapting them for the kitchen rather than that other "range." It is surprising to me how some of his specifics can really change the taste of the outcome. My first realization was when I substituted a yellow onion for his almost DIRECTED white one. Heh. After that, when he says THIS one, I buy it.

Hamsterman said...

I first ran across him when I was figuring out how to clean cast iron skillets. That led me to how to make biscuits, which led to ...

I really enjoyed his 'trail medicine' video. I think of it every time I get a cough. Also, I wonder how many of his 'accidents' are planned, like not finding his biscuit cutting ring and so used an empty can. I'm glad he can share all these things and apparently have fun doing it.