Sunday, March 12, 2023

Sunday morning music

 

This morning we have a musical juxtaposition.

The books of J. R. R. Tolkien have inspired many different musical compositions and artists.  When one puts two very different eras and very different musicians together, the results can be startling.  Take, for example, the relatively recent efforts of Clamavi de Profundis, based on Paul Jackson's movie rendition of "The Lord of the Rings".  Here's their "Lament for the Rohirrim".




Then . . . then there were the 1960's, and the hippie generation, and Star Trek.  What happens when they all came together and met "The Hobbit"?

This.  This is what happened.




Horrible, isn't it?

Oh, well.  They said that Tolkien was hobbit forming, and I guess they were right!



Peter


5 comments:

James said...

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear
How years ago in days of old, when magic filled the air
'Twas in the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair
But Gollum, and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her
Her, her, yeah
Ah, there's nothing I can do now
I guess I'll keep on

Zepplin "Ramble On"

Tis not all bad!

Jim said...

Could have been worse. Shatner could have sung it.

Hamsterman said...

And the Orc's marching song from the animated LOTR:
We don't wanna go to war today
but the whip-master says
we gotta march all day
All Day! All Day! All Day!

chorus:
Where there's a whip
there's a way!
Where there's a whip
there's a way!

E. C. said...

I like the first better (obviously). But I think my very favorite effort to put Tolkien's lyrics to music is this one - Galadriel's Lament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TU0hE47hS0
Or possibly Sam's song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wdid7I2QIw

Anonymous said...

My mother had that Nimoy album. And I remember that song. Though how, when (and why) that video (minus the added footage from Jackson's movie) was made is beyond me.