Thursday, July 9, 2009

A toast(er) to the happy couple!


It is to laugh . . . An English couple found themselves a bit overwhelmed by a wedding gift (or two, or three, or . . . )

A newly-wed East Yorkshire couple opened their wedding presents - to find they had been given 24 toasters.

Claire and Stuart Linley had asked for cash or vouchers from their 160 guests, reports the Daily Telegraph.

They first realised something was up when they received a pile of gifts all in the same shaped box.

Mrs Linley, 31, said: "When we went to open our presents and saw all the boxes were the same shape I thought, 'this is quite strange', and then we began to open them and it was toaster after toaster after toaster.

"It was hilarious really. Most of them were from Tesco and when we took them back to the store the staff couldn't stop laughing. We did make beans on toast for lunch when we got home though."

It emerged the 'coincidence' was actually a joke conceived on Mr Linley's stag party in Ibiza.

The auto-electrician, 31, said: "The boys were asking me what I wanted as a wedding present, and I said either money or vouchers because I didn't want to end up with a million toasters.

"Then one of my friends took it upon himself to tell everyone to buy us a toaster.

"On the morning when we came to open our presents I knew something was going on as I had had about 15 text messages asking if I was having toast for breakfast."

The couple, who married at Howden Minster, East Yorkshire, last Saturday, have now returned 23 of the toasters, but decided to keep one.


Definitely sounds like a warm relationship!



Peter

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Now THAT is creative...LOL