Monday, July 13, 2009

Talk about the sound of music . . .


A new world record must have produced some interesting sounds in England the other day.

They are the hellraisers of the music world.

But the 582 drummers who drummed together yesterday shunned the example of the likes of The Who's Keith Moon and Led Zeppelin's John Bonham to work together in perfect harmony.

They beat out the same rhythm for five minutes to set a new world record.




The efforts at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, sanctioned by Guinness World Records, beat the previous record of 533 set by a group of U.S. drummers in 2006.

The record attempt was organised to increase awareness of multiple sclerosis and succeeded in raising £20,000 for charity.

Among the drummers was Don Powell, of 70s glamrockers Slade. He said: 'I was performing in Budapest on Sunday but I just had to get back here for this event, especially in my home town - it's amazing.

'I'm so happy we smashed the record and we've set a very high target for them to beat.

'I find it fantastic that musicians now have a voice and can get involved in something as wonderful as this record.

'It isn't as difficult getting to everyone playing at the same speed for this as people might think, it's getting them to stop that's the problem.'


There's more at the link.

I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed this. With drums only - and so many drums! - beating out a rhythm, I suspect I'd have enjoyed the silence after they'd finished more than I did their playing!

Peter

No comments: