Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Images in a bubble


An article in the Daily Mail drew my attention to the photography of Tom Storm.

He's not your typical tourist - preferring to turn his back on some of the world's most stunning landmarks.

But instead of shunning the attractions completely, Tom Storm actually blows a bubble and then photographs the beautiful swirling venue in its reflection.



St. Louis Arch



It has led to a host of incredible dream-like images of New York's Times Square, a windmill in Copenhagen and the Washington Monument.

The Philadelphia photographer developed his technique five years ago while on holiday in Ireland.

He said: 'While roaming around a street fair in Galway I snapped off a few shots of bubbles floating past, and their reflections were huge.

'When I returned home I started looking through what I captured to find this whole world reflected in a single bubble.

'A few months later I was living in Poland and decided to make it a personal mission to try to capture a landmark from every country in the world.

'With the help of a friend, my first deliberate bubble was in Neptune's Fountain in Gdansk.



Neptune's Fountain, Gdansk, Poland



'Part of the mission is to capture the reflections of major landmarks in different countries around the globe. I have so many plans. I've still have a lot of ground to cover with the project.

'The people and places of this world are still very much filled with wonder and adventure and I love to share the wanderlust.'


There's more at the link, including more photographs. On his Web site, Mr. Storm offers many more images, and talks about his inspiration and his work. Recommended reading.

Peter

No comments: