Thursday, March 20, 2014

Turning on a dime


Readers will recall my occasional mention of the venerable Antonov An-2 biplane in these pages.  Here's a video clip of one being thrown (slowly) around the sky at a Polish air show.  It demonstrates very well how these aircraft, while slow, are very maneuverable, and can turn on a dime and land in a very short distance indeed.  I recommend watching it in full-screen mode.





That calls to mind some memorable bush flights in An-2's over Africa . . .

Peter

3 comments:

prairie gopher said...

watched one of these at an airshow in Europe many years ago. very impressive bush plane.

Jesse in DC said...

I remember the first one I ever saw, at an airshow in Geneseo NY. Saw it enter the pattern, and it looked like it stopped in mid air.... He slowed that thing all the way down, and dropped it on the grass like no other aircraft I had ever seen. If I ever win the lottery....

Will said...

Why isn't Alaska covered with these planes? Too big for bush work?