Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The ultimate boy and his toy?


Meet Yves Rossy from Switzerland, who allegedly calls himself 'Fusion Man'. He likes to jump out of a plane - with wings and engines of his own.




He's been developing his powered wing for five years. Some attempts have been less than successful - in 2005, he had to resort to an emergency parachute after losing control. However, he finally seems to have got it right.




The Daily Mail reports:

Stepping out of an aircraft at 7,500ft, Rossy unfolded the 10ft rigid wings strapped to his back as he plummeted earthwards.

Passing from freefall into a gentle glide, he triggered the four jet turbines and accelerated to 190mph above the mountaintops.

Steering with his body, Rossy dived, turned and soared again, flying what appeared to be effortless loops from one side of the Rhone valley to the other.





At times he climbed 2,600ft before diving again, leaving a trail of special-effects smoke in his wake.

After one last wave to the watching crowd, Rossy dipped his wings as he prepared for the piece de resistance, a manoeuvre he hadn't tried before...He flipped onto his back and levelled out again, executing a perfect 360-degree roll that even a bird would find impossible.





"It's like a second skin," Rossy said later after landing on the shores of Lake Geneva.

"If I turn to the left, I fly left. If I nudge to the right, I go right."

With his first big test under his belt, Rossy, 48, is ready for bigger challenges: he plans to cross the English Channel later this year, before attempting to fly through the Grand Canyon.

To do this, he will have to fit more powerful jets to allow for greater manoeuvring.





I have to take my hat off to M. Rossi. He's invested five years of his life and over a quarter of a million dollars into perfecting his 'human wing' device. That's obsession - and dedication.

However, I don't think I'll try it. If I fly with a wing and four engines, I want them attached to a Boeing 747, thank you very much!

EDITED TO ADD: I've just found this video clip of M. Rossi's achievement. Enjoy!





Peter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To infinity and beyond!

SpeakerTweaker said...

Hey, man. Count me IN. It's gotta be cheaper than gas!



tweaker