Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hurricane Ike - before and after


The Daily Mail has published some very interesting before-and-after photographs of the damage Hurricane Ike inflicted on the Bolivar Peninsula near Galveston. Click the pictures for a larger view.






Hard to think that anyone will be foolish enough to rebuild there . . . but I daresay some will. Certainly, if I were an insurance assessor, I'd instantly refuse to insure any building on the Bolivar Peninsula from now onward!

Peter

3 comments:

PeterT said...

One has to wonder about the construction techniques used in the structures that survived.

Christina RN LMT said...

What I wonder at is when people DO rebuild, they build the same damn way. It doesn't matter whether it's Florida or Louisiana or Texas, they use the same materials and same techniques. I understand that it would be more expensive (and uglier), but I remember from living through many typhoons in Okinawa, that at least the homes there are constructed to withstand the ravages of the weather.

M.E. Again said...

Thanks for this pix. We stayed at a friend's vacation home that is someplace on the right hand side of this picture back in '02 for a week in the spring. It was a nice, middleclass, vacation home neighborhood. Fortunately for our friend, his family sold the place in '06. They were about 5 or 6 blocks from the water, and the house had been there since the 1950's or 60's. I hate to say it, but the beach there was awful anyhow.

To Petert: If I remember correctly, the big structure on the lower left was built on I beams, and I'd assume had a steel frame (and massive pull down storm shutters) but you can see that it was mostly blown away anyhow.