Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wordsmiths rejoice!


Those of us who enjoy reading and vocabulary will rejoice at a new book: "Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages" by Ammon Shea.

The author has trudged his way through the massive Oxford English Dictionary, covering over half a million words and more than two and a half million quotations in no less than twenty printed volumes. He's brought out many words that are a delight to discover. Consider these examples:

Acnestis (n.) The point of the back that lies between the shoulders and the lower back, which cannot be reached to be scratched. (I never knew there was a word for this, but I sure know the spot!)

Empleomania (n.) A manic compulsion to hold public office. (I suspect many of our politicians suffer from this disease!)

Jentacular (adj.) Of or pertaining to breakfast. (So, when I'm feeling hungry in the morning, I'm obviously suffering from "jentacular deficiency". I love it! I wonder if an employer would accept this diagnosis as grounds for a day off work?)

Misandry (n.) Hatred of men. (I'd heard of "misogyny", the hatred of women, but I didn't know there was a masculine equivalent.)

Onomatomania (n.) Vexation at having difficulty in finding the right word. (Oh, yes, I know this one from experience!)

Petrichor (n.) The pleasant loamy smell of rain on the ground, especially after a long dry spell. (I've always loved the smell, but I never knew there was a word to specifically describe it!)

Tacturiency (n.) Desire of touching. (The lovers' disease?)

Umbriphilous (adj.) Fond of shade. (What a word!)

Yepsen (n.) The amount that can be held in two hands cupped together. (A measurement of which I'd never heard.)

Zugzwang (n.) A disagreeable position in which a chess player is obliged to move but cannot do so without disadvantage. (Sounds like some counseling situations I've known . . . )


Fascinating! This one goes on my "must buy" list right away!

Peter

3 comments:

Don said...

I have uses for all those words. Yes, I need that book.

Anonymous said...

Umbriphilous (adj.) Fond of shade.

And so the source word of umbrella is discovered?

Anonymous said...

I just picked it up in a San Diego bookstore Tuesday. Imagine my shock and horror in seeing a split infinitive on the second page of the introduction! I was almost too heartbroken to go on.