Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In Memoriam: Sir Norman Wisdom


I was sorry to read that Sir Norman Wisdom, the British comedy actor, died yesterday. I grew up with his movies, and had many a good laugh at his gift for making the sublime into the ridiculous. He was never well-known in the USA, so most of my readers probably won't be familiar with his movies; but there are several clips of his work on YouTube. Here's one, 'Bayonet Practice', to whet your appetite.







I guess you could describe his talent as a mixture of Charlie Chaplin's tramp, Buster Keaton, and a dash of Benny Hill.

Thanks for many happy memories, Mr. Wisdom. Rest in peace.

Peter

1 comment:

Shell said...

I've heard his name but as far as I can remember never seen any of his stuff. Thanks for posting the clip, Peter. There's more laughter in the comedians' version of Valhalla these days, I'll wager.