Saturday, August 27, 2016

Doofus Of The Day #922


Today's winner proves that partying can be hazardous to your wallet.

This British bloke got more than he bargained for when he spent nearly $40,000 on a bus during a night out in Ibiza.

Instead of paying a few euros for a ride home, Davie Little, a DJ, shelled out a whopping $37,500 on buying his own coach.

The credit card sale was made just after midnight yesterday while Davie, who is from Durham, in northeast England, was partying in Ushuaia nightclub, and the poor guy still can’t figure out what he was thinking.

There's more at the link.

One does wonder what sort of credit limit one has to have, to buy a bus on one's credit card!  "More money than sense", anyone?

Peter

7 comments:

Sherm said...

Of course, driving home from an island presents its own set of complications.

TGreen said...

Point.

Though you have to wonder how much bus he got for a mere $37k.

(Good to see you posting from home)

Glenn B said...

Being filthy rich must have its advantages.

Chris said...

Just for 'fun', I looked up prices on the model that the story indicated in its last paragraph - Scania Irizar Century Coach.

Assuming that it is in good shape, I would guess that the one he bought is somewhere around 15 years old.

Anonymous said...

"One does wonder what sort of credit limit one has to have, to buy a bus on one's credit card!"

At the ripe old age of 18 Chemical Bank sent me a pre-approved credit card with a 5,000 dollar limit that was rapidly increased to some wacky amount like 35,000. I think it reached over 50,000 at one point because I remember that before I could legally drink I had over a 100,000 line of credit just between Chemical and Citibank. This was in the very early 90s. I was barely making above minimum wage and attending college part time. I don't think I made much over 5 bucks an hour if that. I doubt my W2s hit 5 figures some years.

Probably explains how the banks ran into trouble passing out credit like that no questions asked.

Will said...

I knew a cargomaster for a c-141 that told me a story of them having to make an unscheduled stop at a civilian field somewhere now unremembered. He paid to refuel the aircraft with his personal Amex card, to expedite their end mission. Talk about a flexible credit limit!

Sendarius said...

I can't speak to the situation now, but when I first had an Amex card mumblety-mumble years ago, there was no such thing as a credit limit, nor was there any "monthly payment" option.

You made whatever purchases that you knew you could afford on the card, and you paid the balance in full come the end of the month.

It was considered polite to pre-clear very large purchases with Amex first, but I never had a single purchase declined, even when I bought almost all the furniture for my first home on the card.

How times have changed - now get off my lawn.