Friday, June 2, 2023

Two useful tips for lower-cost defensive handguns

 

Eaton Rapids Joe points out that Turkish-made handguns - already available in US gun stores at relatively affordable prices under brand names such as Canik, Girsan, SAR, and others - may be cheaper in future thanks to currency exchange rate fluctuations.


The Turkish Lira just experienced a very sharp decline in value relative to other, benchmark currencies like the US Dollar (which isn't doing all that whippy in absolute terms). The big banks looked at the numbers and deduced that Erdogan gamed the economics to the detriment of the long-term, Turkish economy to get re-elected.

The momentum and the reserves of gold and harder currencies is not in Turkey's favor. Nor is the portfolio of products they can offer on the world market and most especially in those markets denominated in hard currencies.

Turkey exports some very competent, very economically priced firearms to the United States.

For example, this article highlights six, very competent handguns currently imported from Turkey.

If you are in the market for a handgun, and you can be a little bit patient, you might find some of these available at very attractive discounts. These are not be the "coolest" handguns, or the lightest, or the easiest to conceal, or the ones that the high-end IDPA or USPSA high-speed-low-drag competitors are using. But they are likely to be exceptionally durable and their extra mass will make them easy for novices to shoot...and to enjoy shooting them.

This may be a strategic opportunity if you have some family members who lack a handgun or shotgun.


There's more at the link.

Furthermore, Commander Zero field-tests a couple of the Glock-compatible (but much lower cost) Dagger pistols from Palmetto State Armory, and finds them impressive.


The Dagger shot very well. No failures of any kind, seemed as accurate as any other Glock, and even fit into the rather snazzy new Safariland 6390RDS ALS Glock holster I picked up.

The Dagger shot as well as the Glock, and fit my hand a little better. I don’t really have any complaint about it. I’d have to put a lot more ammo through one before I would stand on stage and declare it the equal of the Glock or that it was a perfect analog of a Glock. But….a lot of parts do interchange.

What’s the role of it in my world? Well, IF it has the reliability and durability of the Glock, then  it would make a no-brainer choice as a secondary or tertiary backup gun to someone who is invested in Glock logistics. If it takes Glock mags, Glock parts, Glock holsters, Glock sights, and Glock accessories, but is half the price of the Glock, then why wouldn’t you pick up a couple?

PSA has these things on sale…sometimes as a package deal. Let me see if I can find a recent one….Thats a pretty-much-as-good-as-a-Glock pistol and five standard Magpul mags and five happysticks for $370. For perspective, thats approx. $125, dealer price, of mags making the gun itself approx $245. That is a bargain no matter how you look at it.

. . .

I’ll be shooting these things more in the coming weeks, but so far I like what I see.


Again, more at the link.  (PSA has some pretty good deals on AR-15 and AK47 clones as well, and I can verify from personal experience that their quality of manufacture and assembly is usually very good.)

Useful information for those needing a handgun, but hampered by limited funds.  I have enough handguns to last me the rest of my life, but others may not be so fortunate.

Peter


15 comments:

Tsgt Joe said...

I have a Stoeger over/under shotgun that works rather well. In the last 18 months I've bought 2 Girsan pistols. the first was a 1911 (.45) with a red dot. This has been problematic since the way I draw and present a handgun makes it difficult to acquire the red dot. The trigger is noticeably rougher than my other 1911's. the other is a Hi-power clone MC-35. Once I had the magazine safety removed it became a pleasure to shoot. It's only quirk is the front sight keeps drifting out. I'm sitting with a bottle of blue threadlock at my side and will remedy that today. The Girsan Hi=power was bought at the same time as the Springfield Hi-power clone. I've had nothing but trouble from the springfield. It took a trip to a gunsmith to get a useable trigger and now I have ejection issues

BGnad said...

And sometimes, the urge to set yourself up as a quite logistics point for your close friends is very hard to resist.

Jim said...

I have some experience with the Canik line. I've found their CZ75 clones work well and even take the same magazines. Their TP9 SF Elite has one of the best out of the box triggers I've seen on a striker fired pistol. It also has good sights and comes with Mec Gar magazines.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Thank-you for the kind words and the link, sir.

-ERJ

BigCountryExpat said...

I run the M-9 Girsan Clone. ZERO complaints/issues and it was cheap cheap compared to the Beretta variant. Extra mags are a bit pricey ($40 a pop for 19 round mags) but still... I'll take it. Getting the Holosun mounted was a bit of a trick too as the rear site needed some filing to get the mount to properly fit (don't try that at home unless you're a fully trained gunsmith) Lots of measuring but I got it right and it's a nice piece.

riverrider said...

i have a tisas 1911 that shoots great right out of the box. great bang for the buck. i noticed the hi power cloned jumped from 300 to 700 plus. i thought it was buyer frenzy but it may be just that turkish currency game.

MNW said...

Remove the front sight and put a couple of dimples in the bottom that should be enought to keep it ftom moving.

If you want to use an adhieasive use bearing retention LockTite or another type - it will only kinda work for that

MNW said...

The Turkish pistols are a bit rough, but pretty good. I should have bought a Stoger Cheeta when I had a chance.

IDK anything about the daggers other than what I have seen online.

Anonymous said...

I've a PSA Dagger in 9mm - very pleasant, little recoil, accurate and comfortable. I also own the PSA version of the FN57 pistol - which is far more expensive to feed.

Between the two, I'd recommend a Dagger as a backup pistol to go with a decent long rifle.

Anonymous said...

Note that the Tisas guns all have multiple variants, some of which vary considerably in price, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Paul Chappell said...

I did want to ask if you had a recommendation for a local gun store (Wichita Falls)? Most of my collection is older military firearms and looking for some odd things like a decent carry revolver and something in a FAL as I deeply regret selling that one in the ancient times...

Peter said...

@Paul Chappell: Try Texas Knifeworks & Guns. They have a Web site. Their prices aren't the lowest, but their service is good, and they're good people.

Anonymous said...

I bought a Tisas M1911A1 a few months ago for $330. Excellent quality, excellent trigger.

RHT447 said...

Another +1 for Canik. I bought a TP9SF. So far I have shot CCI 115 gr FMJ (aluminum case) Fiochi 124 gr FMJ, Remington 124 gr HTP, and 123 gr lead handloads. Zero malfunctions. This pistol is everything Glock should have been (at least by now).

Ergonomic.
visual/tactile loaded chamber indicator.
visual/tactile cocking indicator.
Very short trigger reset.
18 round mags.
Price.

Some Canik models have a decocker, explained here at the 11:40 mark--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuCI9g72SRo

I bought mine because it does not have a decocker.

Peter said...

Peter, if you haven't seen this, I thought you might be interested.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/06/three-murders-every-hour-south-african-farmers-set/