Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Are marriages meant to last for life?


Following my recent two posts dealing with marriage issues and problems, I had two e-mails from readers. Both asked, in so many words, whether it was realistic, in this day and age, to expect a marriage to last for a lifetime. Both pointed out that as individuals matured, and developed new areas of interest, personality and the like, it was very easy for couples to 'grow apart' rather than grow together. This wasn't so much of a problem in earlier generations, where the explosion of knowledge - and its ready availability via the media, the Internet and other sources - didn't stretch people's minds all that much: but today, both of my correspondents found it a problem in their respective marriages. I thought some readers might be interested in how I responded to them.

My take on this is very simple, and is Biblically-based (what else would you expect from a retired pastor, after all?). In Matthew 6:19-21, Jesus tells his followers:

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


Clearly, in this extract (read in context), he's talking about one's relationship with God as one's principal 'treasure'. However, his words can also be applied to marriage.

Ask yourself: "What is my greatest treasure?" I've heard many different answers to that question, from married and single people. For some, it's their happiness, or health, or wealth, or collection of antique gizmos, or whatever. Those answers are almost always inward-looking: this is my most important treasure, mine, important to me. Then there are those who look outward, to their relationships with others, and classify them as the most important. These are, in my experience, likely to be better balanced individuals than those who look inward. They realize that life doesn't revolve around them, that they're only a part of a whole. They focus on us rather than on me. They're likely to make better partners in marriage than a more self-centered person.

Ideally, in marriage, one's spouse should be one's 'treasure', the thing (or, in this case, person) to whom one devotes the major share of one's attention. As the marriage grows into a family, clearly, children will come to share this 'limelight'. The family will occupy center stage for a while, then, as the children grow up and leave home, the spouse will move back to prominence. Nothing else will be allowed to interfere with the primacy of marriage and family: not work, not money, not anything.

That's the secret to a long-lasting marriage, right there. One makes it one's 'treasure', and devotes to it the appropriate amount of time, energy and resources. "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." If your marriage relationship is not your treasure, then your heart won't be in it, and it's very likely to fail. Whenever I hear someone say, "I'm not getting out of this marriage what I expected to get from it," my instant reaction is to ask, "Well, what are you putting into it?" If someone's expecting to take, rather than give, there's an instant problem. If both parties are giving their all, they'll both receive, and in abundance.

This is also why it's so important to have the right foundation for a marriage. I've lost count of the number of couples who've come to me for counseling assistance, who've outlined what they saw as their future as a couple, and found the reality wanting. In so many cases, they decided that children would have to wait on the demands of their career; or that owning an impressive, well-furnished house and swanky cars was important, even at the cost of a crippling load of debt, in order to maintain their social 'image' or 'status'; or that spending extra time at the office, to 'show willing' and earn the boss's respect, was more important than spending time with their spouse. Guess what? All these things showed very clearly that their 'treasure' was somewhere other than in their marriage - and the results showed, every time.

Some of the happiest marriages I've seen have been among folks who aren't rich, aren't all that well educated, aren't all that ambitious . . . but who love each other, and put each other first in all things. They have a bond that will last, because their treasure is in the right place - in each other. They devote their time and attention to caring for their 'treasure', just as a miser might devote his time and attention to his investments and accounts. Both will reap the reward of their attention - but I know who'll be happier.

Something else to think about. Love is never static. It grows, or it diminishes, depending on how it's handled - but it doesn't stand still. In a good relationship, the love between the partners is something living, growing with them, increasing in each of them, making their marriage a reality greater than the two individuals who comprise it. It's often the case that a well-married couple will share their love with others, usually their children, but if they're childless, in counseling others, fostering or adopting children, helping with youth groups, and so on. Their love seeks an outlet as it grows greater within and between them. This is normal, and very healthy.

Indeed, my friends, if the love in your relationship has grown 'static', and isn't improving, ask yourself how much effort you're putting into loving. I'm sure you already know the answer, don't you?

There's the answer in a nutshell. Make your marriage your 'treasure', your priority, and give it all the attention and dedication it deserves, and it will last, and prosper, and become better and better as you go on together. Make it something less . . . and it won't.

Peter

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. This past weekend, my grandfather passed away at 86. He and my grandmother were never ones for PDA, but as the pictures were pulled out, you could see there was a deep love (not that I ever doubted it)

And to listen to her talk to my grandpa one last time, I knew what her treasure was.

They were married 61 years.

Thanks for the post

Crucis said...

It all depends on what you choose to be your options. If divorce is never an option, you options can then only lead to togetherness rather than driving you apart.

If divorce is an option, it will almost always be chosen since it's easier to blame your spouse than accept your own failings.

(Married 41 years next week.)

Anonymous said...

Generations can end up with new technology and societal problems that didn't exist before, but people are generally the same. If you're corrupt and looking for any excuse to stray, you're going to find it. You can't blame MySpace for not spending quality time with your spouse. Turn off the TV, step away from the computer, put the Crackberry down, and take your spouse by the hand and go outside and enjoy the day. It ain't that hard.

And just because one has a hobby that the other doesn't share, it's not the end of the world. But if you're deliberately out looking for hobbies to avoid the spouse...

I watched my brother's marriage get destroyed through "me, me, me" attitudes. And my nieces are suffering dearly for it.

Fly To Your Dreams said...

My wife and I will celebrate our seven year anniversary this May. Cosmetically, we're very different people -- I like watching anime and reading manga, playing video games, following my favorite baseball teams, reading just about anything, and flying. If I were single, I'd probably live in a dust covered apartment with stacks of books and games rising from the floor to the ceiling.

My wife would rather watch something on TV while sitting in a clean chair, or do some scrapbooking or cross-stitch. If she were single, she'd probably share an immaculately kept apartment with two cats, and have a lovely collection of Stargate DVDs and Adventures in Odyssey CDs.

Like I said, very different on the surface. However, we agree about our religion (we met in Bible college), we agree about our politics, and we agree about how to raise our three children (ages 3, 2, and 3 months). We'll often discuss the latest news, the pastor's sermon, or something from our Bible study groups for hours at a time. We both like to travel, and she watches anime with me while I watch Desperate Housewives and Private Practice with her.

We drive each other crazy sometimes (and I'm usually to blame), but I can't imagine life without her. 6 3/4 years in, I won't even pretend we've got everything figured out, but I think we're going in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have been married for 10 years now and are closer than we were when we were dating. We were just talking last night about how bad off we were when we started. We didn't know it then though. He is and always has been my very best friend.

The Raving Prophet said...

Dead bang on.

Some folks would be surprised at how well the marriage relationship works when each is concerned about the other and making a willful and deliberate effort to serve the other.

Sure, two people can have divergent interests. My wife isn't interested in shooting, I'm not in to sudoku puzzles. But we find other things we both enjoy.

Anonymous said...

What others have said. I never had much in the way of healthy adult relationships in my childhood to model on; my parents divorced when I was seven and my father promptly got into another, worse relationship with a vicious woman. Most of what I know about relationships is a combination of negative example- do NOT behave like my mother, father, or stepmother- logical extrapolation of the Golden Rule school, and finally a refusal to keep doing things that are clearly not working.

My first serious relationship was with the man I'm now married to, and we had years of mistakes and generally figuring it all out. But right now I couldn't be happier with it or him, and frankly I think my lack of examples was a strength in a way; I didn't go in with any preconceived expectations of how it should work at all.

Crucis said...

Labrat, at least you had examples of what NOT to do. So many ignore that and also have no examples of what TO do.

All of us must learn for our own experiences---successes and failures, and learn from them.

Those who can't, or won't learn, fail.

phlegmfatale said...

Excellent post, Peter.
To treasure thus and be treasured likewise must be a measure of heaven on earth. May we all find it.