Monday, February 3, 2014

Do we really want Detroit everywhere?


I note with extreme displeasure that the United Auto Workers trade union is trying with might and main to unionize the workforce at Volkswagen's plant in Chattanooga, TN.  The process is not without controversy.

I have no objection to trades unions that exist for the legitimate support and protection of their members.  I've been a member of a union myself, and it was of great assistance to me during a very difficult episode at work.  However, the UAW is one of the most corrupt, self-seeking and egregiously grasping unions in the history of such organizations.  You don't have to take my word for it - just do an Internet search on the subject 'UAW corruption' and read the resulting linked resources for yourself.

Many individuals and organizations share the blame for Detroit's current economic woes and infrastructural collapse . . . but the UAW is right up there with all the rest of them, and probably bears more responsibility than most for that mess.  I confidently predict that any city allowing the UAW to unionize its industrial plants has already set its joint and several feet on the same slippery slope.  I can only hope that the organization's current efforts fail, for the sake of the city of Chattanooga and my home state of Tennessee.





Peter

1 comment:

Mad Jack said...

Certainly the UAW is corrupt, and very likely more corrupt than you imagine. The amount of responsibility that the UAW has for the current state of Detroit is minor; as corrupt and influential as it is, the UAW can't hold a patch to the Detroit government.