Saturday, February 15, 2014

Score!


Heartfelt thanks to everyone who's responded to my appeal for leads on where to find some .22LR ammunition for disabled shooters.

  • A couple of readers have e-mailed me offering to send money to buy some, whenever and wherever I can find it.  I have a couple of leads, so when the money gets here I hope to be able to 'stock up the larder' over the course of the next month or two.  Prices for quality ammo are through the roof, though . . . what used to buy a case of 5,000 rounds in 2012 won't buy even a fifth of one now at most retailers.
  • Two readers (so far) have offered ammunition from their stocks.  I hope to meet one in Nashville next week, and I set up a rendezvous with another one this afternoon at a large regional firearms store.  He came through with well over a thousand rounds.  Squeeeee!
  • It was a good day for my own ammo supplies as well.  While at the firearms store, my eyes fell upon some Federal buckshot with their spiffy Flitecontrol wad, which greatly extends its effective range.  Double squeeeee!  I grabbed every box of full-power buckshot they had (not many), plus a few of the reduced-recoil offering.  Finding that stuff around here is very difficult indeed, so I wasn't about to let it get away.

I think future training will have to be conducted using BB and/or Airsoft pistols for several hundred rounds, followed by 50-100 rounds of .22LR ammo.  That will still enable students to learn the fundamentals, plus give them enough experience with the real stuff that they'll be comfortable with it.  Next year's training plans are in abeyance until we see what happens to the ammo supply (and prices) this year.

Thanks very much to everyone who's offered to help.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Peter

2 comments:

Sevesteen said...

It is astonishing that what used to be less than $20 at most any Walmart is now legitimately worthy of a Squeeee! from a grown man.

rremington said...

Check into a SIRT pistol. They are a great training aid to practice trigger control. They are a little pricey but take no ammo so it ends up being cheaper in the long run.