Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Back in town


Miss D. and I went up to Amarillo yesterday.  I was invited to speak to a local school class about my experiences in Africa, and what it was really like in that continent.  Their textbook was riddled with errors, and their teacher knew that I'd be able to set them straight.  You might say so . . . some of them looked rather shocked to learn of the true state of affairs.  I hope I did some good.

The journey up and back was relaxing.  The grass is green and flourishing along US Highway 287 at present, so the view is pleasant - not dry and brown as it will be later in summer, when the heat fries everything to a crisp.  (Wichita Falls has a cycling event called the "Hotter 'n Hell 100" in August, which is well named and sums up the northern Texas summer very well!)

We're back home now.  I queued up several blog articles to post automatically in my absence, so I hope you were duly entertained.  Regular posting will now resume.

Peter

10 comments:

DoninSacto1 said...

Peter, thanks for getting the kids on to the path of knowledge, not the rote pablum swamp.
That teacher deserves an "atta girl" for looking outside the box to actually teach the kids.

bruce said...

wish I could hear what you had to say

Anonymous said...

"wish I could hear what you had to say"

What? You mean like a small book aimed at mid-teens that discusses "all the stuff they didnt tell you about Africa"?

Nah, the sci-fi is probably more believable.

Glen said...

That is a lovely drive in the Spring.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of the note of shock the kids had when reality didn't match what they were taught. There is an expression of our schools. Some time back, I looked at my kid's textbook on a whim and found out that the impeachment of Bill Clinton had to do with the politics of the Republicans in the house and no mention of perjury or obstruction of justice was noted. I filled in the gaps. Thank you for filling in another gap. Kudos for the teacher to allow reality to be presented.

Anonymous said...

Please list some of the major errors...

raven said...

I would buy a book about your life in Africa and observations.

Unknown said...

I grew up in Memphis, along that route. This is definitely the time of year to drive that road! And I agree with Raven, I'd buy a book about your life in Africa!

Charlie Mitchell said...

I remember reading an article about the "new boss" (might have been Kabila?) in one of the West African countries. A young man, maybe 20 or so, was rolling on the ground laughing and celebrating how much better things were gonna be. What he got was "same as the old boss".
Africa could be such a paradise, but I doubt it ever will be.

Bryn said...

Good to see some kids getting a reality check, and a lesson in the value of questioning anything the "accepted authorities" put in the text books....
I am however minded of the writings of Robert Heinlein, in which he speaks of the official displeasure directed against anyone teaching the children "the naked truth".
I really hope that the teacher concerned has run through the CYA drill, and has willing friends on call.
I pray I'm being a paranoid pessimist, and nothing more.