Saturday, May 21, 2016

Water fast and diet update: Week 3


The past week's been pretty much a non-starter for my water fast and diet program.  My blood glucose levels were fluctuating pretty badly at the start of the week, and that's a danger sign I don't want to ignore;  so I didn't start fasting on Monday as I normally would, rather waiting to see if things stabilized after another day or two.

Unfortunately, they didn't.  I had an attack of severe gall bladder pain in mid-week, sufficient to keep me up most of the night, wishing I could rip the damn thing out with my bare hands!  This is a not unexpected consequence of the diet and fasting program - I have gallstones, although they haven't previously manifested any problems, and it's a known risk that they can act up during rapid weight loss.  Oh, well.  I guess I just became that well-known comic character, Statistical Norm.

I've eaten more or less normally this past week.  Of course, my weight's increased slightly, but I've kept off most of what I lost in the preceding two weeks.  On Monday, all being well, I'll start another 5-day water fast, and see about getting back into the routine.  I'm in no hurry.  I expect this process to take most (if not all) of a year, and I'm only three weeks into it.  I'll let nature take its course, and allow my body to dictate the pace at which I press on.  So far, so good.

Peter

6 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

You're wise to play it safe. You'll get back to it.

Home on the Range said...

I wish you luck but the going from plentiful eating to fasting and back again puts a severe strain on the body so I'm glad you are being careful. I lost 45 pounds 3 years ago, after the knee injury packed extra weight on, by simply adding a piece of low carb fruit to breakfast and lunch and making my dinner meal 3 ounces of protein, a small baked potato with a dab of low fat cottage cheese or sour cream and all the steamed veggies I wanted. No calories after 4 pm but that and the weight came off about a pound a week.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're doing everything on your end to stay safe. Best of luck! :)

Guffaw in AZ said...

Prayers your way!

gfa

Anonymous said...

Gall bladder pain is like that. You would gladly undergo surgical removal without anesthesia just to be rid of it. A woman once said that it is the only thing that men can experience analogous to child birth. Mine has been gone a year - good riddance.

PLEASE continue to keep us posted on your fasting journey. It is fascinating, at least to me. I admire how methodical you are being. Is there also a spiritual side to your fasting (suffering)? I hope so; and if so, I hope that you will write about that as well, when the time is appropriate.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if you have ever heard of the use of Potato to control blood sugar? I know it sounds counter intuitive, but apparently with some people it can work if you do it right.

The author of the book Potato Hack (find it on amazon) maintains a blog:
http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.com/

Where he covers a lot of the info, albeit in a more distributed fashion.