Tuesday, April 4, 2023

As if I needed encouragement...

 

I mentioned last week that I was on a very rigorous fasting diet, which (so far) is going well.  I've got months to go on it still:  I'm in this for the long haul.

As if to encourage me, Phil at Bustednuckles posted this fluoroscope image on April 1st.  I've cropped it for clarity.  Click the image for a larger view.



I hasten to add that I'm not that fat . . . but it's a heck of an illustration of how much extra weight and burden being fat puts on your muscles and skeleton structure.

I didn't really need the reminder, Phil, but thanks anyway!  Motivation 101 . . .

Peter


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Youtube. Dr Ken Berry.
Changed my life.

Amahl_Shukup said...

I go to the gym 5 days a week and occasionally I have to add 50 pounds to a squat machine (giving me 95 pounds total weight). Each time I do that I think, "A lot of people carry this extra weight around every day!" The short distance I have to carry that weight is very short, but I can feel how it affects my joints and bones.

Harbinger62 said...

Inside every fat person is a skinny person trying to get out - Saying in medical schools when we see imaging (Usually CT's) demonstrating the above.

libertyman said...

All this time, I was told so and so was "big boned" to explain their size. Or had "large glands". Or had a "large frame". It is amazing the body can function at all with all that extra weight. Amazing illustration.

bobby said...

On keto now. That image just became my new screensaver.

Tom Bridgeland said...

Looks like some of my patients. Worst is when the heart gets weak and can't push enough blood through all the tissue. And weight on the lungs prevents a full intake of breath. Goes downhill pretty fast then.

Anonymous said...

On a show couple of years ago a group of overweight women were given a wall to draw a chalk outline of how big they thought they were. When done they stood in from of them and the host then drew around their bodies. When stepping aside most were absolutely amazed at the difference in how they saw themselves vs the outline of how big they actually are. When it's sliding on a few pounds at a time we think it's not abnormal to go buy a size larger as 'you know, age'. But a year later your looking at a closet with 4 sizes of pants in it. And you know.