Tuesday, August 1, 2023

An amazing photograph

 

British photographer Andy Maher captured this outstanding image of a kestrel diving straight at his lens.  Click it for a larger view.



The BBC reports:


Andy Maher, from Hayle, told BBC Radio Cornwall he was out taking photos of birds in flight when he saw the kestrel hovering above him.

He said the bird then dived towards him and swooped away at the last second.

Mr Maher took a burst of photographs of the action and when he looked at them later he was "quite blown away by what I'd taken" ... "You can get a bird in flight which isn't always difficult... but to get an action shot, it can be very rare, particularly a shot like that where a bird is coming right at you. It's just a once in a lifetime image."


There's more at the link.

I found Mr. Maher's Web site, and was impressed by his excellent bird photographs.  Check it out for yourself.  He's apparently self-taught, and I'd say he's mastered his craft very well.

Peter


4 comments:

SiGraybeard said...

He said, " It's just a once in a lifetime image." That was exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Old NFO said...

Banking left, correcting for the wind! GREAT pic!!!

Rocketguy said...

I’ve never captured it with a pic but I see something like that every time I mow around the tree where the mockingbirds nest…

Justin_O_Guy said...

That belongs in a book. On the page about how they hunt.
What's the last thing a mouse sees?
EEEK!