Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A new hotel - for the super-rich


The new 1,539-room Atlantis Hotel is to open tomorrow on an artificial island in Dubai.




Much of the focus at Atlantis, modeled on a sister resort in the Bahamas, is on ocean-themed family entertainment.




The resort contains a giant open-air tank with 65,000 fish, stingrays and other sea creatures and a dolphinarium with more than two dozen bottlenose dolphins flown in, amid controversy, from the Solomon Islands.




But the hotel's top floor aims squarely at the ultra-wealthy. A three-bedroom, three-bathroom suite complete with gold-leaf 18-seat dining table is on offer for £13,000 a night.


That nightly rate translates to over US $24,000 at current exchange rates. Three nights in that suite would cost almost as much as I paid for my present home and almost two acres of land!

I suppose if one's wealthy enough, that sort of nightly rate doesn't matter . . . but even if I won the lottery, I simply couldn't justify spending that much for a single night's lodging. It's obscenely self-indulgent and "over the top".

Peter

1 comment:

Epijunky said...

I've seen the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas. It's impressive.

Would I spend the amount of money I spent on my house for three nights in the luxury suite?

God no. And besides, I've seen the Travel Channel, Michael Jackson slept there.