Thursday, July 9, 2009

Now that's a lot of people!


I'm no fan of large cities. Having lived in them for most of the first few decades of my life, I find I now prefer smaller cities and towns, with fewer people. Sure, there are less shops and other amenities, but also more privacy, more space, and much more clean air!

I was amazed to see this video of Shibuya crossing in Tokyo, Japan, on a Saturday afternoon. Just look at all the people, and imagine having to live among such a crowd. Talk about lemmings!





Not for me, thank you very much . . .

Peter

5 comments:

Brandon said...

My God, they look like ants. That gives me the heebie-jeebies just looking at it.

Anonymous said...

Lemmings

Anonymous said...

I thought it was fascinating to see that while there were hordes of people walking - the streets were relatively free of traffic.

The crowd also seemed to be far more polite and orderly than a similar-sized crowd here in the US would be.

jbrock said...

Yikes. Crowds skeeve me out. The only difference between a crowd and a mob is one wrong stimulus.

Old NFO said...

Been THERE! And yes, few cars TONS of people. And they are VERY polite, almost to a fault polite. Thing to remember, the Japanese (and most Asians) have NO concept of personal space. They will literally stand within an inch of you without it bothering them one bit. That is also why they are fanatics on hygiene...