Friday, December 31, 2010

An amazing cave complex


National Geographic has published a remarkable photographic essay about the caves of the Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park in Vietnam. I can't reproduce many of them due to US copyright law, but under 'fair use' provisions, here are three of them, reduced in size, just to whet your appetite.



Divers swim beneath a huge flowstone column in Hang Ken cave




Hang Son Doong, possibly the world's largest subterranean passage.
A half-mile-long block of 40-story buildings could fit inside this stretch.




The cave of Hang En, tunneled out over centuries by the Rao Thuong River



There are many more photographs at the link, in larger sizes, too. Very interesting and highly recommended viewing. This national park goes on my list of places I want to see before I die!

Peter

2 comments:

suz said...

I love caves,and yet I'm claustrophobic so I'm especially fond of BIG caves. These pictures are stunning!

DaddyBear said...

If y'all are ever in Arizona, I'd really suggest a visit to Kartchner Caverns in Cochise County. http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/KACA/tour_info.html. Still a growing, wet cave with some of the most beautiful features I've ever seen.