Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Battle of Tsushima, in glorious CGI!


Military history buffs, particularly of the nautical variety, will recall the Battle of Tsushima in May 1905, when the Imperial Japanese Navy crushed the Imperial Russian Navy in one of the most significant battles in modern naval history.  Now, courtesy of a link at Cdr. Salamander's place, we come across this CGI recreation of the battle.  I highly recommend watching it in full-screen mode.




I've been told that this is excerpted from a Japanese history/entertainment program, but I don't know any more than that.  The Japanese text on its YouTube page doesn't help if one can't read or speak Japanese!  Can any reader provide us with more information?  It looks as if it might be worth watching, particularly if a version is available with English subtitles.  Thanks!

Peter

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Machine translation of the details description of the YouTube video:

Such as the war is not holy war. "There Are no Holy Wars"
. There Are Wars just is not no war of justice as well as
to induce each other just not Tomedo hatred.
Do not fueling the war, do not insult other peoples.
Do not deprive those who by force of arms. Do not occupied.
Do not force the beliefs of religious thought.  
Battle of Tsushima cloud of uphill, singing: 'Stand Alone "Maki Mori
and "Turning Point" is that I felt it the moment and this fight made ​​its debut on the international community,
that it was tactical surprise the world of innovative ideas expressed.
Togo turn 34 degrees 33 minutes, north latitude,. guess. east longitude 129 degrees 39 minutes
but we also worked hard, and escape from the downturn for now,
is what you want mark to posterity the Turning Point.

Tim D said...

I can't be certain but I think it's from the final episode of the series Saka no Ue no Kumo (Clouds over the (horizon?/slope?/hill?)). The series is an NHK special drama, the last episode aired December 25th last year. The articles I am finding says that he battle was filmed at the Rinella water tank in Malta.

Tim D

Oleg Volk said...

The flavor of this film is rather different from the Russian view of the battle as presented in books. Beautiful filming.

Old NFO said...

I 'beleive' the young officer featured in that clip is Yamamoto. Also that is BB Mikasa that is featured with ADM Togo on the bridge. Mikasa was actually built in England!!! Next time I'm in Japan, I'll go take pics, since I can't find the ones I 'thought' I had...