A tip o' the hat to reader James G. for sending the link to this news report.
Richmond Co. Sheriff's Office investigators say 36 year old William Bonner of Thomson was highly intoxicated late Friday night, and had a friend pour a shot of high-proof alcohol, Bacardi 151, over his head, then another friend set him ablaze.
And what started it may shock you.
"He actually bet the people he was with that he could do this," says RCSO Investigator Lt. Blaise Dresser.
. . .
Bonner ran around, trying to pat out the flames. After the fire was out, he walked out of the bar.
"His face was red, real glistening almost," says Birmingham. "It had the consistency of melted plastic. It didn't look good at all."
Birmingham and the RCSO deputy working security that night offered to call an ambulance, but Bonner got into the car with his friends.
They drove him to Georgia Health Sciences Medical Center, and he was airlifted to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital from there.
He was released Monday. No word on his condition when he arrived or what kind of injuries Bonner sustained.
There's more at the link.
If you drink so much you actually make bets about this, then proceed to do it . . . words fail me! Perhaps we should have a special Drunken Doofus category? (Although this bozo would undoubtedly be classified as a representative of the regrettably-not-rare-enough über-Drunken-Doofus variety!)