Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The evolution of food in space


I came across NASA's Advanced Food Technology Project recently.  It's devoted to developing varied, tasty and nutritious meals for astronauts in space.  I was struck by its photographs of astronauts' meals during the course of over fifty years in space.  Here are a few examples, reduced in size to fit this blog.












There are many more (and larger) photographs at the link (scroll down to find the image gallery).  Interesting viewing.

Peter

1 comment:

skidmark said...

Nobody ever says anything about the brave enlisted men who endured sample after sample of "Hey, this might work!" until the folks at Natick Labs finally got one right. Likewise the families of those intrepid scientists, who were test monkeys before the soldiers got the stuff that did not actually make you gag.

Yes, I am a survivor. In all my time in the service my biggest fear was that someone would discover that my father made C-Rations.

stay safe.