Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Seven brides for seven (Georgian) brothers?


For some reason, this lively rendition of a Georgian folk song reminds me irresistibly of the dance scene in the 1950's musical 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers'.  The music is utterly different, but the country 'moves' and the sheer joie de vivre of the participants is eerily similar.  See what you think.  Watch it in full-screen mode to get the full impact of the scenery, which is lovely.





I thoroughly enjoyed that, even though I didn't understand a word of it.  Can anyone point me to the lyrics and/or an English translation of them?

(And if you haven't yet seen 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers', it's high time you did!)

Peter

6 comments:

c w swanson said...

Seven Brides is a perennial favorite at my place among the ladies.

This video is indeed a lot of fun, even without understanding it. Thanks for finding such an offbeat pleasure.

Gaffer said...

I'm continually amazed by the video clips you find. You always make my day and this clip has certainly started my day off well.

Jim said...

I enjoyed that piece immensely and immediately saw the Seven Brides resemblance. Nice video.

Anonymous said...

Trivia bit for you:
I'm in the military and I served with our logistics officer whose father was one of the brothers in "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers". Won't mention his last name but this officer went through many hours of training to be an actor and instead decided to serve our country. Great decision on his part. A fine officer and a fantastic logistician who could obtain anything one needed!

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking Oh John Ringo, No!

Glen said...

It is a tourist for the Raja region of Georgia with their traditional music
mixed with modern music.