Sunday, July 9, 2023

Sunday morning music

 

Let's see who the old farts are around here.  How many of you remember this one?




Of course, that was Barry Ryan performing his biggest hit, "Eloise", composed by his brother Paul, back in 1968.

The brothers performed together as Barry & Paul Ryan from 1965 until 1967, when Paul decided he wanted out of the stress of performing.  However, he kept on composing songs for his brother to sing as a solo act for a few years.  Barry stopped performing in the early 1970's, and went on to a successful career as a fashion photographer.  He released a two-CD set of his and his brother's recordings in the late 1990's, and undertook a "Solid Silver '60s Tour" of the USA in 2003.  Paul died in 1992 (of cancer), while Barry died in 2021.

Here are a couple of typical '60's pop songs from Barry and Paul, followed by a couple of post-Eloise hits from Barry alone.  They kinda set my teeth on edge today, but back then they were quite the thing.  I suppose a '60's audience would have a similar reaction to modern R&B and rap (if not somewhat more emphatic!).










OK, time to wash the cloying saccharine aftertaste out of my mouth . . .

Peter


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m 82 now, and these are not names I’m familiar with in my youth. Probably big in Africa or England.

Amahl_Shukup said...

"...cloying saccharine aftertaste .."

Yeah, pretty much. My thought on listening to the deservedly obscure tunes was, "meh!"

Old NFO said...

Oldies, no question...

glasslass said...

Today would have been my 63rd wedding anniversary if we hadn't divorced and he's died but I've never heard of any of these song and yes saccharine is correct. Apparently didn't miss anything.