Monday, January 15, 2024

Back to the renovation grindstone

 

Today the flooring people begin work, ripping out the old, undermined ceramic tile, preparing the surface, and installing vinyl plank in its place.  It should go reasonably quickly, I'm promised, but we'll see what that means in reality.  I'm going to have a couple of days up to my eyeballs in dust and tile fragments.  I'm not looking forward to it.  To make matters more interesting, I have a doctor's appointment at 07h30 - with temperatures in the single digits!  This African boy is not amused to find himself in the middle of Alaskan winter temperatures . . .

I'll put up another post later this morning, but expect light posting tomorrow and possibly Wednesday, until the mess and fuss is over.  Say a prayer that I don't end up arguing with the installers.  We've had a terrible time choosing vinyl flooring that's actually available and in stock, with two or three tries needed before we found an honest wholesaler.  There seems to be an awful lot of dishonesty in the business right now, with installers promising the earth but failing to deliver on time, on budget or on promise.  Here's hoping we've got our ducks in a row this week.

More later.

Peter


3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

May the Lord see to it that the retailers, contractors, and installers are all honest and above-board, and that the work goes quickly and well.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it's perfectly reasonable that ceramic tile was messed up by flooding.
Instead of asking how you re-wrote the laws of physics, I'm just going to stash this away in my head as one of those puzzle pieces I'll ponder over in idle moments.

Peter said...

@Anonymous at 12:48AM: The tiles themselves weren't damaged, but they were undermined by the water, and some of them cracked as a result. Others were grating against the concrete slab beneath them, making for unstable footing. The insurers OK'ed removing and replacing them to fix the problem.