Sunday, January 21, 2024

Sunday morning music

 

We all know, and most of us enjoy, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.  However, most performances in the Western world are orchestral only, ignoring the fact that the opening bars are actually from a Russian hymn.  There are also a few recordings incorporating cannon (or flashbangs, or other pyrotechnic imitations of cannon) in the final battle/victory celebration.

As far as I know, Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra were the first to incorporate both a full choir (in this case, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir) and real cannon in a performance of the 1812 Overture.  They also included the band of the Valley Forge Military Academy.  The piece was released in 1971, and became one of that year's top classical recording "hits".  It's remained popular ever since, with good reason.




I've come to love the choral version of the opening hymn.  It resonates far better with me than a purely orchestral rendition.

Peter


12 comments:

LL said...

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir always does a fantastic job, and this is no exception. Thanks for sharing on a Sunday Morning.

Sam Helm said...

Peter,

First, let me say that this is probably my favorite piece of Classical Music. It was the one my parents used to introduce me to that part of the music world, all the way back in the early '60s. It was also the first concert I ever went to, in Seville (Spain) in 1967 or so.

The recording they used was Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker with the Vienna Choir, I don't know who they used for the artillery, but I swear you could hear both the touch hole and the main charge.

The album was produced by Deutsche Grammophon, and had "Marche Slav" and "Romeo und Juliet" on the reverse side. I think it was recorded around 1959. My vinyl was long ago commited to the dust bin, as was the CD I purchased in the last century. I still have a digital version of my IPOD. Yes, I know I am dating myself. . . :-)

GREAT CHOICE!!!

Anonymous said...

So Rap didn’t invent sampling, interesting

Anonymous said...

Stoltenberg, Blinken, those pushing for war with Russia should listen to this and reflect on what war with Russia really means.

Aggie said...

Still have fond July 4th memories as a kid, sitting on the grass by the Charles River in Boston, at the Hatch shell - watching Authur Fiedler direct the Pops, with the National Guard standing by their howitzers. YowZah!

Thanks for sharing this version.

Tom Bridgeland said...

Thank you. One of my favorites that I hadn't heard in a long time. Can't listen to music much any more, seems to make my ears tired, but this is worth the effort.

John C said...

My parents had this LP and played it on a 1958 Zenith HiFi stereo system. That thing would get loud and you could almost feel the cannonballs punch through you. Thanks for bringing up fond memories!

Cathy said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyRcvjto300
Try this link for the Russian hymn.

Stretch said...

I've that recording!
US Army Band & Chorus with 3rd Herd Salute Battery, every August. Great date outing. Funny how cannon affect some women.

Joe Texan said...

I listen to this version almost daily. The hymn at the beginning sets the tone for the entire piece.

Woody said...

The hymn is the Troparion of the Holy Cross, in English as here: O Lord, save Your people, and bless Your inheritance. Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries. And by virtue of Your Cross, preserve Your habitation.

Quentin said...

This is the cannonical version. :)