Monday, February 19, 2024

Educating tomorrow's leaders today


Last September the Intercollegiate Studies Institute held its 70th anniversary gala in Wilmington, Delaware.  One of the presenters was Tucker Carlson.  I recently had the opportunity to listen to his speech, and found it very worthwhile.  If you missed it, I highly recommend making the time (it lasts about 40 minutes) to watch and/or listen to it now.  I think you'll find it worthwhile.

In particular, note his emphasis that since we're going to die anyway, why be afraid of death?  Whether we like it or not, it's coming.  That should also affect the way we live.  If death is inevitable, and therefore there's no reason to fear it, why not live in such a way as to give our lives - and deaths - greater meaning?  Why be afraid of contrary opinions, philosophies or political views?  We should stand up for what we believe in, and be unafraid to make our case.  In our present benighted state, I think that's a very important lesson which all of us should heed.

I was pleased that Mr. Carlson gave his entire speech without any note or teleprompter in sight.  It was all off-the-cuff, extemporaneous.  I'm sure he prepared his speech beforehand, but to deliver it that fluently, that smoothly, without a single prompt, was a tour de force.  I wish more people would do that, or were able to do that.  I've tried to do it myself throughout my life, but I'm nowhere near as fluent as he is in converting thought to speech.




Worthwhile thoughts, IMHO.

Peter


2 comments:

Old NFO said...

He is good, no question!

John V said...

When you listen to the tortured cadence of a politician reading a teleprompter and then hear a speech from someone like Tucker Carlson or Vivek Ramaswamy it's like night and day.