Thursday, April 18, 2019

An excellent first novel


Jason Fuesting and his wife have been online friends with my wife for some time, although I've only met them once, during a trip to St. Louis some months ago.  Jason's a military veteran, and has been working hard on a science fiction trilogy for a long time.  He's finally let loose Volume 1 on the world - and it's a very good effort indeed.




I had the privilege of beta-reading "By Dawn's Early Light" prior to publication, and found it absorbing and interesting.  Jason certainly has his own voice, and a gifted way of setting up his characters and scenarios that holds the reader's attention and draws him further into the story.  I think his first novel is rather better than my own "Take The Star Road".

The blurb reads:

Eric Friedrich was supervising the last ice harvesting shift for his ship's shot-up environmental systems when they detected an anomalous ice comet drifting by. Investigating the icy tomb, Eric finds a ship that couldn't exist--a relic from a nation the Protectorate killed billions to erase from history... And will kill even more to keep secret.

When his world explodes, Eric must make allies in the unlikeliest places, and seize even the slimmest chance of survival while unraveling a conspiracy that shattered planets and set off interstellar war!

I recommend "By Dawn's Early Light" to your attention.  It's very affordable, too.  What's more, Jason has already written Books 2 and 3 in the trilogy, and is currently polishing them prior to publication, so you shouldn't have to wait long for more.

Peter

7 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Purchased!

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Peter;

Downloaded...and for what it is worth, I though your first literary effort was pretty good also.

Tsgt Joe said...

Got it and I’m with MrGarabaldi, your first effort was goog too.

Storm said...

It's worth noting that even though I have 2 and 3 draft-complete, I'm hedging a bit on release schedules. Working on my Physics degree, I essentially can't write 9 months out of the year so having 2 more in my back pocket is more of a "If all else fails..." buffer given I probably have two more years of this crap now that I dropped my math dual major.

If I can get book 4 draft-complete over the summer, I'm very likely to drop 2 in early fall. It sucks a fair amount knowing I have something I could put up in short order, but I'm reluctant to trust reality to play nice and let me avoid the >1 year between publications bit if I just chain-publish the first three right now.

Figured it was safer to build a buffer and release as real life allows.

Ray - SoCal said...

Peter has been doing experimentation on release times to maximize profit...

D.J. Schreffler said...

Bought and already enjoying it.

So far all the threats are environmental and trying to figure out what the mysterious ship is.

I am incredibly amused by the crew trying to fit a 3/5" socket with metric.

Storm said...

Glad to hear you've liked what you've seen so far. And yeah, the metric vs imperial stuff just came out of nowhere when I was writing that scene. Sorta had flashbacks to helping my dad work on a car as a kid... I mean, hold a flashlight while he worked on it. :) Anyone who's worked a wrench even a little knows the frustration from that sort of mismatch, especially when it turns out it's a size you don't have.