I don't normally make Doofus awards if someone is seriously injured or killed during the incident concerned. However, the late recipient of today's award did something so egregiously dumb that I'm afraid he gets it anyway.
Sable Scott told investigators that she and her 23-year-old brother, Colin, left a boardwalk near Pork Chop Geyser on June 7 and walked several hundred feet up a hill in search of “a place that they could potentially get into and soak,” Deputy Chief Ranger Lorant Veress told KULR-TV in an interview.
As Sable Scott took video of her brother with her cellphone, he reached down to check the water temperature and slipped and fell into the hot pool, according to the incident report obtained by KULR through a Freedom of Information Act request.
. . .
The next day, workers could not find any remains in the churning, acidic water, Veress said.
“In very short order, there was a significant amount of dissolving,” Veress said.
There's more at the link.
That's a Darwin Award for sure. How is it possible that this idiot and his sister didn't do even the most basic research on Pork Chop Geyser? The water in that thermal basin has been measured at no less than 459° Fahrenheit (about 237° Celsius for foreign readers) - well over twice boiling point! - and a pH similar to battery acid; yet these two doofi were looking for a place to soak???
Ye Gods and little fishes . . .